Consumer protection agency raids Multichoice’s Lagos office
In an effort to checkmate any obstruction of the ongoing investigation into the operations of the Digital Satellite Television (DStv), the Council Officials of the Consumer Protection Council has raided the head office of the pay-TV service provider, MultiChoice Nigeria, in Lagos
The officials, armed with a warrant and accompanied by policemen, Journalists to the company’s were allegedly to have taken laptop computers and important documents about the company’s operations.
The operation led by the Council’s director of Legal Services, Emmanuel Ataguba was said to be in line with relevant sections of its enabling law.
In a statement on Thursday, signed by Mr. Ataguba, the CPC said in line with one of its mandates to provide redress for consumer abuse, it has commenced investigation into the operations of DStv based on a barrage of complaints of alleged consumer rights violations against the company
According to him, “the CPC commenced investigative sittings into the operations of Multichoice Nigeria, the franchise owners of DStv on Friday, July 31, 2015.
“This followed a barrage of consumer complaints alleging wide-range abuse of subscribers’ rights. These include poor quality of service such as incessant disruption of service without compensation, wrongful disconnection of service during subsisting subscriptions, decoder swap irregularities and poor redress mechanism and customer service.
The inaugural sitting provided a four-man DStv team the opportunity to respond to questions from the CPC investigating panel, and was adjourned for the DStv team to provide more documents. Since then, subsequent sittings of the CPC investigating panel have suffered abrupt adjournments and disruptions at the instance of Multichoice Nigeria”, Ataguba explained
The council said the disruptions started with a letter received on August 25 from Multichoice Nigeria acknowledging the CPC request for additional information and asking for a six-week extension for the continuation of the investigation, claiming that the notice of the summons was short.
Ataguba explained further in the statement that, “the CPC declined the six-week extension request, countering the short notice claim of Multichoice Nigeria, insisting that its representatives at the first sitting of the investigation were constructively put on notice to produce additional documents. In the interest of
justice, the CPC granted a postponement of two weeks to Thursday, September 10, 2015.”
Meanwhile, no officials of Multichoice Nigeria could not be reached for comments on the raid at its office in Lago.